BRITISH CANOEING (BC)CERTIFICATES
British Canoeing (BC) in the UK has a parallel function to that of our Spanish Canoeing Federation. Within the BC, the sea kayak is considered a recreational boat, but at the same time, its tradition and long history have led it to create specific qualifications that are now respected internationally
Beginning in January of 2019, the BC is launching a new structure of Awards that will replace the old Star Awards. And the qualifications of the coaches who assess the awards will follow a new structure as well.
Below you have a table with the new awards. In yellow you will see what we are offering during the Symposium:
|Paddle Start||Sea Kayaker||Sea Kayak Leader||Paddlesport Instructor|
|Paddle Discover||Coastal Sea Kayaker||Advanced Sea Kayak Leader||Sea Kayak Coach|
|Paddle Explore||Advanced Sea Kayaker||Performance Sea Kayak Coach|
Initiation Awards have 3 levels: Paddle Start, Paddle Discover, Paddle Explore
Personal Performance Awards have 3 levels: Sea Kayaker, Coastal Sea Kayaker, Advanced Sea Kayaker
Leadership Awards have 2 Levels: Sea Kayak Leader, Advanced Sea Kayak Leader
Coaching Awards have 4 levels: Paddlesport Instructor, Sea Kayak Coach, Performance Sea Kayak Coach, Coaching Diploma
For those who want to have their personal skills developed and evaluated we will have the Sea Kayaker Award (former BCU 3 Star), from the Coastal Sea Kayaker Award (this one is the personal skills portion of the former BCU 4 Star).
For those who want to work on group leadership skills we will have a training and assessment for the award as a Sea Kayak Leader (formerly the leadership portion of the BCU 4 Star) This is done in moderate wàter conditions (see requirements).
For those who want to get started on the coaching track, we offer you the chance to participate in a Sea Kayak Coach training, and there will be an assessment for those that wish as well. (see requirements).
What significance do the proposed certificates have?
Sea Kayaker is the first level that demonstrates some technical knowledge (old BCU 3).
Coastal Sea Kayaker is a newly created certificate equivalent to the personal skills of the former BCU 4 or the current Sea Kayak Leader Moderate Water.
Sea Kayak Leader (former BCU 4, Sea Kayak Leader Moderate Water) is the first level that allows you to lead a group of caiacs under moderate conditions.
Sea Kayak Coach is the lowest level of coach that is for a specific discipline (in this case: sea kayaking).
What requirements are needed to participate in a course or to be assessed?
To be assessed as a Sea Kayaker:
- Have the knowledge detailed in the document “Sea Kayaker Award” annexed.
To be assessed as a Coastal Sea Kayaker:
- Have already received the Sea Kayaker Award (former BCU 3).
- Since it’s a new award, have the knowledge detailed in the document “Coastal Sea Kayaker Award” annexed.
To participate in the Sea Kayak Leader course:
- Have the Sea Kayaker award (former BCU 3 Star) and the knowledge detailed in the documents “Sea Kayak Leader Syllabus” and “Sea Kayak Leader Training Notes” annexeds
To be assessed as a Sea Kayak Leader:
- Have completed an official Sea Kayak Leader training course, or Sea Kayak Leader Moderate Water course, or BCU 4 Star training, within the last 3 years
- Carry out the Sea Kayak Leader course proposed during the 2019 Pagaia Symposium.
- Have obtained or obtain during the 2019 Pagaia Symposium the Coastal Navigation and Tidal Planning Certificate
- Have a recognized Certificate of First Aid (a 2-day course), within the last 3 years.
- Submit a roadmap of your experience, showing 24 times at sea (minimum of 4 hours duration each). For at least 5 of these exits the candidate must have assumed the role of leader assistant. The trips carried out must include navigation on different stretches of coastline, different seas, different sea conditions, reduced visibility times and night navigation, navigating with tide currents up to 3 knots, wind up to 5 Beaufort, sailing up to 2 miles off the coast and outings with camping.
- Become a member of the BC online HERE, paying the registration fees.
- Filling and sending the LR sheet to the BC in time and having paid the registration fees (£50) to the BC exam. Be in possession of the LR sheet, signed by the BC at the time of the examination.
We suggest reading the document “Sea Kayak Leader Assessment Notes” annexed
To participate in the Sea Kayak Coach course:
- Have the Sea Kayak Leader or the Sea Kayak Leader Moderate Water or the BCU 4
- Become a member of the BC HERE, paying the registration fees.
You can see the course guide for the “GUIDE” annexed
To evaluate the Sea Kayak Coach:
- Having done before the course proposed during the symposium, the Core Coach Training and Discipline Specific Training courses, and having completed the e-learning correspondence course.
What are the dates for the for the courses and assessments at the 2019 Pagaia Symposium?
Sea Kayaker Training and Assessment: from April 16 to April 17, 1 day of practice, review of knowledge and 1 day for exam.
Coastal Sea Kayaker Training and Assessment: from April 16 to April 17, 1 day of practice, review of knowledge and 1 day for exam.
Sea Kayak Leader Training Course: from April 16 to April 18, 3 days of work where your technique will be tested as well as your skills to lead a group. Includes the Coastal Navigation and Tidal Planning course.
Sea Kayak Leader Assessment: from April 17 to April 18.
Coach Sea Kayak course: from April 16 to April 19 (2 days Core Coach Training + 2 days Discipline Specific Training).
Coach Sea Kayak Assessment: April 16
Who are the instructors?
Instructors of the BC will be responsible for teaching and assessing candidates.
A minimum of 8 participants are required for Sea Kayaker, Coastal Sea Kayaker, and Sea Kayak Leader.
For the assessment of Sea Kayak Leader a minimum of 2 participants is required.
To be able to hold the Sea Kayak Coach course we must have 4 participants. The candidates interested will be informed that we have sufficient participants to run the course 1 month before the start of the Symposium.
For the evaluation of the Sea Kayak Coach a minimum of 2 participants is required.
Prices do not include the Certificate fees if you get the Sea Kayaker, Coastal Sea Kayaker, Sea Kayak Leader, Sea Kayak Coach exams, and you will have to pay to the organization of the Symposium